dear diary: 10/11/24

This afternoon, I went to a super cute Angel Blue pop-up in Ginza. It was based on the whimsy and nostalgia of a childhood bedroom, namely one from the Heisei era. 

The artist, Yamashita Mero, did a beautiful job dressing the set and making it feel lived-in. 


It was a true feast for the eyes. Although it wasn't a very big space, I spent a while soaking it all in. 


That cat photo is hilarious. Why does its eyes look like that? I also wonder if that's someone in the art department's actual childhood cat. I bet it is. 


I immediately clocked the Furby and the Fueki glue boy. I recently got into Fueki when I saw that my local stationary mise had a bunch of random Fueki goods, like stickers, tear-off tabs, and lip balm

He looks so dumb, and I love him so much. 


I kind of freaked out when I saw the Baby Lips. I didn't know that was also a 2000s-thing in Japan. 


As an art director, I wish I could sit down with Yamashita and pick his brain. I wanna know where he sourced everything. Mercari... maybe?



After the pop-up, I wandered around Ginza for a while. The pop-up took place on the eighth floor of the Yurakucho Marui, a posh department store in Chiyoda. I love Japanese department stores; they are so clean and well-organized. Walking around one (especially during a low-traffic time) helps me clear my head. 

Eventually, I stopped in a bookstore and picked up some Jojo manga for a friend's birthday. (She doesn't read this blog, so I should be safe...) ( ̄b ̄;)


I then had lunch at an oyster bar. Let me tell you, one glass of red wine and a fresh Hokkaido oyster later, and I was living it up. Loving life. In the words of Matthew Wilder, nothin' gonna break my stride. (See: foreshadowing)


While making my way to the underground, I totally ate shit. Stride: broken. I was texting and walking simultaneously (I'm dumb) and wearing my Big Girl platforms, a recipe for disaster. I rounded a corner and tripped. Some Ojiisan 100% saw my underwear. For free. 

I'm physically fine, but it was embarrassing. I used to dislike the Tokyoite tendency to ignore everyone around you (even when someone trips and kisses the pavement), but I was grateful in this case. Shout out to everyone at that intersection who pretended that nothing happened. I love you.


Before heading to Ginza, I went to the Starbucks in my neighborhood. (Hi, nonlinear timeline. Who am I? Christopher Nolan?) 

I'm not sure why this is, but once I've put on my outfit and finished my makeup, I have to leave the house. Like... right away. Even if my plans aren't until later, I'd rather wait it out at a coffee shop than mope around my house in my going-out clothes. I don't know why, but it makes me feel like a ghost. Like I'm haunting my own apartment. If I'm at home, I gotta be in my pajamas. That's just the way it is. 

For an hour, I nursed an iced tea and worked on this short story about a gyaru and a Jirai Kei girlie who are best friends. I'm hoping to post it on this blog when it's finished. 


I'm going out for tacos and cocktails with a friend now. I'll talk to you later!


Later...

I'm home. I just now realized that I only took pictures of my drinks... (≖ᴗ≖ ✿)

After tacos (which were delicious), we went to a bar that does cocktails based on movies. You can also bring up a random movie that's not on the menu, and if the bartender knows it, he'll concoct a drink on the spot. 

I asked for a cocktail based on Paprika by Satoshi Kon. This is what the bartender came up with:


The hearts on top were pepperminty. They tasted a bit like York Peppermint Patties. The other cocktails I got were based on Blade Runner and Chungking Express. This was my second visit, and the drinks were even better this time around. Well... the first time, I got a cocktail based on John Carpenter's Halloween, and it came with a knife. That's pretty hard to beat. 

OK, I'm off now. I'm sleepy. And by the looks of it, I'll be in bed before 12. How nice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cute Hello Kitty Kaoani