Monday Playlist: Agepoyo

This was inspired by Rookie Magazine's (rest in peace) Friday Playlist, which I listened to religiously as a depressed high schooler. I used to burn CDs for all of my friends, and I wish my stupid MacBook still had the capacity to burn CDs, but it doesn't even have a USB port anymore. (ꐦ¬_¬)

Anyway.

I loved how homespun the Rookie playlists were, with the curator's hand-drawn tracklist and personal blurb. It was warm. This is my homage to that.



Agepoyo is old gyaru-go. 

"Age" means to raise, whereas "poyo" means... well, nothing really. It just sounds cute (and isn't that enough?) Combined, it's used as an expression of enthusiasm, a la exclaiming, "I'm pumped up!" or "I'm so excited!" That's the mood I wanted to capture in today's inaugural Monday Playlist. The songs featured are either explicitly about or convey (through melody or rhythm) a sense of pure excitement. The sort that bubbles up inside you, and when it reaches its peak, you can't help but say, "Agepoyo!"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cute Hello Kitty Kaoani